For a given campaign, you can target specific audiences. This allows you to focus your spend on audiences that are more likely to convert, based on different attributes.
Taboola Backstage supports a variety of audience targeting types:
- Marketplace Audience Targeting (aka Third Party Audiences or Audience Segments) - you can target audience segments collected by Third Party Data Providers.
- Custom Audience Targeting (My Audiences in the Backstage UI) - you can target Custom Audiences that you generated via one of the following methods:
a. Taboola Pixel.
b. Data that you uploaded from your CRM (via the Backstage UI).
- Lookalike Audience Targeting - you can target audiences comprised of people that are similar to your CRM audiences (previous point).
As a rule-of-thumb, we recommend a separate campaign for each audience targeting option. The exception to this rule is when one audience type is included - and the other type is excluded.
Targeting multiple audience types in your campaign, narrows your audience and limits your campaign reach (AND Operation).
Adding more audiences within a single audience type, widens your audience and increases your campaign reach (OR Operation).
Audiences - Guidelines
- Marketplace Audiences (aka Audience Segments):
- To fetch a list of available Marketplace Audiences, use the Backstage API Dictionary.
- Custom Audiences:
- Lookalike Audiences:
Audience Targeting - Guidelines
- Once your audience exists (regardless of how it was created), you can apply targeting via the API - as described in the topics that follow.
- The API supports targeting for all audience types - with the exception of Campaign Clickers. (For the most part, Taboola Pixel has replaced Campaign Clickers.)