Google Ad Manager (aka DFP)
Drawbacks and limitations
Taboola integration via Google Ad Manager has numerous drawbacks.
Whenever possible, consider an alternative method - e.g. standard integration (aka JS Tag integration).
- Taboola modules served via GAM are not responsive.
- Look and feel (fonts, colors, padding) cannot be customized.
- Slower loading times.
Taboola features not supported:
- Context-sensitive ads are not supported.
- Read More is not supported.
- AB testing is not supported.
On certain mobile devices, mid-article placements served via GAM may not display correctly. To work around this, contact the Taboola team to configure a fixed width and height for your mid-article widget. (This is configured by the Taboola team, via the server-side Client Properties module.)
GAM vs DFP
Google Ad Manager (GAM) was formerly known as DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP).
Taboola's integration is supported for any browser that is fully compatible with ES5 (ECMAScript 5) or higher. This includes all modern web browsers.
Older browsers (such as IE 11) may encounter problems with video ads.
Adding the creative in Google Ad Manager
This section provides general instructions for adding a creative in Google Ad Manager, with a Taboola code snippet.
Your exact flow (or Google Ad Manager version) might differ from the one described here.
For support with Google Ad Manager, refer to Google's official documentation.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- In the navigation panel (left), select Delivery > Creatives. Then click on the New creative button.
- In the Advertiser field (top), begin typing "Taboola" and select "Taboola (Advertiser)".
- In the Standard creative panel, click on Third Party. This opens the 'New creative' dialogue.
- Fill in a name for the new creative.
Tip: for easy identification, consider using the same name as the
placementparam provided by Taboola. (For information about params, see Advanced Options.)
- In the Target ad unit size field, select a size to target.
(The actual width of the widget will be set via CSS, as explained below.)
- Under Code type, select the appropriate option, e.g. "Standard".
- Paste in the code snippet provided to you by Taboola.
If you would like to create/edit the code snippet yourself, see Advanced Options.
- At the top of the code snippet, edit the
<div>tag and fill in a desired width.
You can also use a Google Ad Manager macro to set the width:
Taboola modules served via Google Ad Manager are not responsive (they have a fixed size across all devices).
- Clear the
Serve into a SafeFrameoption.
- If relevant, fill in
Advanced Settings- and then save.
To ensure that the Taboola placement can render, make sure that
Serve into a SafeFrameis not checked.
- In order to provide personalized recommendations for impressions in the EU and California, make sure to implement GDPR and CCPA consent.
- If you have not already done so, configure ads.txt.
- To create/edit a Taboola code snippet yourself, or implement click tracking, see Advanced Options.
- Contact Taboola so that we can verify your Taboola integration.
Updated 6 months ago